If you want to hang these as ornaments, cut a small hole near the top with the end of a straw before baking. Once the cookies have cooled, thread a ribbon through the hole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup trans-fat free margarine or 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- smooth vanilla frosting (optional)
- 1Beat margarine, sugar, molasses and water with electric mixer or by hand until smooth.
- 2In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, salt and cloves.
- 3Add flour mixture to molasses mixture, stirring by hand just until soft dough forms.
- 4Divide dough in half, shape each piece into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate two hours or overnight.
- 5When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- 6On lightly floured surface or between two pieces of wax paper, roll out one disk about 1/8" thick.
- 7Cut out cookies using 5" gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- 8Place 1" apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 9Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until set. (Bake a few minutes longer for crispier cookies.).
- 10Transfer to rack to cool.
- 11Repeat with remaining disk, rerolling scraps once to get as many cookies as possible.
- 12When cookies are completely cool, decorate with smooth vanilla frosting, if using.
- 13NOTE: To make smooth vanilla frosting, combine 2½ cups confectioners' sugar, ¼ cup hot water, 1 teaspoon light corn syrup and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 14Stir until smooth. This makes enough for 4 dozen cookies.
Browse Our Top Taste/Mood Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingerbread People
Serving Size: 1 (897 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 869.2
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 871.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 198.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 35.7 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
trans-fat free margarine