Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you want to hang these as ornaments, cut a small hole near the top with the end of a straw before baking. Once the cookies have cooled, thread a ribbon through the hole.
- 1⁄4 cup trans-fat free margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- smooth vanilla frosting (optional)
- Beat margarine, sugar, molasses and water with electric mixer or by hand until smooth.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, salt and cloves.
- Add flour mixture to molasses mixture, stirring by hand just until soft dough forms.
- Divide dough in half, shape each piece into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate two hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- On lightly floured surface or between two pieces of wax paper, roll out one disk about 1/8" thick.
- Cut out cookies using 5" gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Place 1" apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until set. (Bake a few minutes longer for crispier cookies.).
- Transfer to rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining disk, rerolling scraps once to get as many cookies as possible.
- When cookies are completely cool, decorate with smooth vanilla frosting, if using.
- NOTE: To make smooth vanilla frosting, combine 2½ cups confectioners' sugar, ¼ cup hot water, 1 teaspoon light corn syrup and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Stir until smooth. This makes enough for 4 dozen cookies.