Recipe by Chef burnt toast
I got this recipe from a neighbour of mine. It is the best gingerbread recipe I've found and I will only be using this one from now on. We live in Canada.
- 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄2 cups molasses (fancy)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, spices and salt.
- in a large bowl, cream the shortening and brown sugar.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the warm water and add to the creamed mixture, beating until smooth. Beat in the molasses.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Cover and chill for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- On a floured surface roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Using 1 3/4 inch round cookie cutters (or whatever you want to use) cut out cookies and place 1 1/2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until dry looking and firm to the touch.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Decorate with frosting if desired.
- Number of cookies depends on size of cutters -- this makes a lot.
- Prep time includes chiling time.