Recipe by Barefoot Beachcomber
From the cookbook "Red, Hot and Green" by Janet Hazen. The book is from the library and I NEED this recipe forever. I love ginger anything and this is superb!
- 8 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces dried calimyrna figs, stemmed and quartered
- 4 inches fresh gingerroot, peeled,quartered,and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, nonstick shallow sided saucepan, cook the shallots in the butter and oil over moderately low heat, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and very soft.
- Add the figs, ginger, sherry, and water and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until figs are tender and mixture is thick and aromatic.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature before serving or storing.
- Will keep in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.