From Bon Appétit, April 2000. We prefer this rare rather than medium rare, so we cook it much less than 35 minutes in the oven. Check often with the thermometer for the right level for you. Serve with Lemon-Soy Dipping Sauce #229523.
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 907.18 g beef tenderloin, trimmed, about 2 lbs
- 88.74 ml soy sauce
- 59.14 ml mirin
- 2 green onions, very thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml golden brown sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.58 ml minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, flattened
- 88.74 ml finely grated peeled daikon radishes
- 88.74 ml finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 4 green onions, very finely chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub 1 tablespoon oil over beef. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef to skillet and cook until brown, turning often, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer beef to roasting pan. Roast beef in oven until thermometer inserted into center registers 130°F for medium-rare, about 35 minutes. Cool.
- Combine soy sauce and next 6 ingredients in large resealable plastic bag. Add beef to marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate until beef is cold, turning in marinade occasionally, at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- Discard marinade from beef. Cut beef into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cover and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Arrange beef on plates. Spoon small mounds of daikon, ginger and green onions onto plates. Garnish with lemon wedges and shiso. Serve with individual bowls of Lemon-Soy Dipping Sauce.