Recipe by Daniel Gordon
ginger soda drink beverage candy
Top Review by 5thCourse
I've made this quite often and I just squeeze a wedge of lime into my cup instead of having lime juice on hand. The lime is almost a must with this sweet drink, and the balance of flavours is perfect.
I have not done the candied ginger, though I do like to nibble on the sweet strained pieces without the extra candying step.
The taste of this ginger drink is different than store bought ginger ale, so don't expect that flavour.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup ginger, peeled,sliced
- 1 cup seltzer water (not sure of EXACT amount)
- 1 cup lime juice (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring ginger, water, and sugar to a rolling boil.
- Turn heat to low.
- Let mixture simmer and reduce to a strong-tasting syrup.
- Strain syrup from ginger slices.
- Refrigerate syrup to thicken.
- Mix 1 part syrup to 7 parts seltzer water (depending how strong you like it).
- Add lime juice to taste.
- Toss remaining ginger slices in sugar.
- Place in warming oven and let dry.