Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for holiday gift giving!
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pitted chopped dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Mix honey, sugar and water in a medium-size saucepan.
- Add butter and bring to a boil, stirring once or twice.
- Let cool.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease large cookie sheet(s).
- Mix flour, spices, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in nuts, cherries, then honey mixture (dough will be sticky and stiff).
- Divide in 4 pieces.
- With floured hands, pat 2 pieces in 6-inch rounds on each prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time 13 to 15 minutes until cookies are golden brown around edges but still soft to touch.
- Loosen with spatula. Slide onto wire rack to cool.
- Stir Glaze ingredients until smooth. Brush on cookies.
- Let set, about 1 1/2 hours. Wrap individually.