Prep 1 min
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Cute and easy cookies which look like huge pieces of candy corn. A great way to make decorated cookies for Fall, Halloween or Thanksgiving with minimal hassle. No re-rolling of dough and no icing! Would be great for the kids to help with. I am posting this recipe as it appeared in the October 1999 issue of Parents; however, any stiff sugar cookie dough suitable for rolling could be substituted for the box mix, egg, water and butter and then colored and shaped. I made these for my son's preschool class with Mean Chef's Vanilla Sugar Cookies dough, which required an extra teaspoon of cocoa for the brown dough. I rolled the dough into super long ropes and cut it all at once. I also made really large cookies, about 5 or 6 inches, and baked at 350 for 11 minutes. Remember when the cookies bake, the color of dough will lighten up a bit, so use plenty of food coloring.
- 1 (22 1/3 ounce) box sugar cookie mix
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature (4 tablespoons)
- red food coloring
- yellow food coloring
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- Prepare cookie dough according to package directions for rolled cookies.
- Divide dough into thirds. Tint one third yellow and one third orange with food coloring. Tint remaining third brown by mixing in cocoa and 2 drops red food coloring.
- Chill dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- To make cookies, pull off about 1/4 of each color dough and roll into a 1/2-inch thick rope. On a sheet of waxed paper, lay ropes horizontally next to each other, with orange in the middle. Cover with another sheet of waxed paper.
- Roll ropes out until dough is 3-inches wide. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. Trim edges. Cut into triangles (like this:VVVVVV).
- Arrange cookies 1-inch apart on greased baking sheets (I use parchment paper instead of greasing).
- Bake at 375° for 6-7 minutes, or until edges just begin to turn golden.
- Cool 1 minute on sheets. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
I have a similar recipe - 1 Cup all-purpose flour 2 pkg. (18oz each) refrigerated cookie dough 2 tsp. cocoa powder red and yellow food coloring Make slightly less orange when you make the three colors of dough (there is always too much!) Heat over to 350F. Using a mixer, work flour into dough. Divide into 3 balls. Tint one ball yellow, one orange, and one with 2 t. cocoa powder. Divide each ball of dough into 4 pieces, roll each piece into a 6" long rope. On a sheet of wax paper, lay out 3 ropes (one of each color) next to each other, orange in the middle. Cover with another sheet of wax paper, trim edges, and cut into trianges. Place on baking sheets at least 1" apart, and bake 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to cooling racks and cool. Repeat with remaining dough. Made about 38 cookies for me!
How easy can it get! A great timesaver and easy with the kids!
These cookies are so cute,and the grandkids loved helping to do them,they take a while to do,but it's well worth the effort.The kids loved them! Thanks,Darlene