1/1 Photo of Giada's Marinara
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A great marinara from Giada de Laurentiis that I've tweaked just a bit. I cook Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs in this sauce and get rave reviews. Giada's recipe calls for 2 32-oz cans of crushed tomatoes, but I cannot find that size. Instead I used 28 oz cans and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent (about 10 mins).
- 2Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Saute until all veggies are soft (about 10 mins).
- 3Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens (about 1 hour).
- 4Remove and discard bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 5Note: When serving with Kittencal's meatballs, I make the sauce the day before, bring it to a boil, drop in the meatballs, cover and cook according to Kittencal's directions. I like to serve this over Barilla's "thick spaghetti.".
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Giada's Marinara
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.2
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 582.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 6.0 g