Recipe by KissKiss
A great marinara from Giada de Laurentiis that I've tweaked just a bit. I cook Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs in this sauce and get rave reviews. Giada's recipe calls for 2 32-oz cans of crushed tomatoes, but I cannot find that size. Instead I used 28 oz cans and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 dried bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent (about 10 mins).
- Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Saute until all veggies are soft (about 10 mins).
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens (about 1 hour).
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Note: When serving with Kittencal's meatballs, I make the sauce the day before, bring it to a boil, drop in the meatballs, cover and cook according to Kittencal's directions. I like to serve this over Barilla's "thick spaghetti.".