Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Little German rolls, made with lots of butter, coated in confectioners’ sugar, and braided. Serve warm at breakfast time with homemade fruit jam or some honey. Mixer Cookbook.
- 3⁄4 cup butter (6 oz.)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 4 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Put the butter and milk into a small saucepan and heat gently to melt. When melted, pour into the mixer bowl with the flour, yeast, sugar, eggs, and salt. With the dough hook, mix on speed 4 for 3 minutes until combined. Cover and leave in a warm, draft free place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Remove the dough from the mixer bowl and divide into 24 equal size pieces. Roll each piece into a sausage shape and roll them in the confectioners’ sugar.
- Lay three pieces of dough side by side and press the ends of these together. Braid the three pieces, pressing the other ends together to finish. Repeat with the remaining dough to make eight rolls. Transfer to a cookie sheet and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Cook the rolls in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown, and serve warm. Makes 8. Preparation time: 15 minutes plus 1 hour rising time. Cooking time: 20 minutes.