1/2 Photos of German Pancake Shreds (For Clear Soups)
This is my final recipe from *Modern German Food* by Roz Denny. Roz says "Soup can be an elegant, light starter to warm you & whet your appetite. Germans are great soup makers & have a wonderful variety of accompaniments including pancake shreds." With all due respect to Roz, I had to amend her recipe slightly to make this work for me but ... as shown here, these pancakes are a fun, very easy & make-ahead way to dress up a clear soup w/just a bit of meat (or veggies + potatoes as you like). Pls see my notes at the end of the prep & *Enjoy* !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whiz all ingredients to a smooth batter using a food proc or blender (I used my immersion blender).
- 2Spray a crepe pan or like size non-stick fry pan w/PAM. Heat the pan till you feel a good heat rising when holding the palm of your hand over the pan.
- 3Pour a sml ladle of batter in the center of the pan & work quickly to swirl it around the pan so it fills the base. Cook till the liquid disappears & the edges of the pancake begin to pull away from the pan surface.
- 4Flip the pancake to cook the other side for just a few seconds. Shake pancake out of the pan onto a plate, set pan aside (off heat), tightly roll the pancake & set aside.
- 5Return pan to heat & repeat process w/rest of batter. Allow pancakes to cool & cut them into 1/2-in threads. Set aside till ready to add to your soup (Batter should net 4 pancakes & the threads will be like a dense noodle or dumpling in texture).
- 6TO SERVE: Ladle hot soup into 4 bowls & put an equal amt of threads in ea bowl. Sprinkle w/parsley & serve immediately.
- 7NOTE RE SOUP: I used homemade chicken stock w/fat removed & sml bits of chicken left in the stock. I added 2 sliced celery ribs, 2 sml potatoes cut bite-sized & *Bjuga* (Icelandic sausage) to try to replicate the German influence. :-).
Browse Our Top Garnishes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Garnishes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Pancake Shreds (For Clear Soups)
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.8
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 58.2 mg
- Sodium 327.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g