1/2 Photos of German Loaf Cookies
1 hr 10 mins
This biscotti like German cookie first appeared in a local diabetic cookbook. I found it on the Internet and was intrigued by the idea of broiling the baked cookie instead of a second baking. If you are not diabetc, the fructose can be replaced with sugar. This untried recipe is being submitted for 'Zaar World Tour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fructose (can be replaced with 3 1/2-4 tbsp. sugar, cookie will be slightly drier)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (can be replaced with 1 egg & 2 egg whites)
- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups sifted unbleached flour
- 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Combine fructose and egg substitute, beating until light and fluffy. Add margarine, lemon juice, lemon zest, almond extract, flour, and baking powder. Mix well.
- 3Place 3/4 of the dough mixture on a floured board. Form into a rectangle about 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick.
- 4Add cocoa and cinnamon to remaining dough and spread over rectangle. Fold both sides of dough into the middle to make a long, flattened log.
- 5Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, until lightly browned.
- 6Remove from oven and slice with a very sharp knife into 1/2 inch slices.
- 7Preheat broiler. Place slices on an ungreased baking sheet and broil for a few moments on each side (be careful; these burn easily).
- 8Cool on a wire rack.
- 9Store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Loaf Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 44.6
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 58.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of