Recipe by Skipper/Sy
I am posting this recipe to honor Judy- Jude and also for the "Cookathon" in memory of her (Jan. 09). One of her favorite chicken recipes was "George's Oven-Fried Chicken" and this is the other one. It was created by her father and I often call it KFC Judy D's Father's Recipe(s). Instant Potato Flakes are used and it has a nice taste.
Top Review by Marsha D.
This was absolutely DELICIOUS chicken! The chicken was moist and crispy as I love crispy chicken. I used 1 tsp garlic powder in place of the garlic salt and added 1 tsp kosher salt. The seasonings added a wonderful flavor and I was so amazed by using the instant potato flakes, usually I use panko breadcrumbs for crispy chicken but found that the instant potatoes works even better. I made this special recipe for the cook-a-thon held in loving memory of Judy~Jude.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) cut up whole chickens
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shortening or 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash chicken pieces and pat dry, set aside.
- Beat egg and milk in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix potato flakes and the rest of the spices and parmesan cheese.
- Melt butter in a shallow baking pan (13"x9"x2").
- Roll chicken first in egg mixture, then in the potato flake mixture.
- Next roll coated chicken pieces in the butter as you place them into the pan (skin side up).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until juices from meat run clear when pierced with a fork.
- Note: If you use garlic powder just be sure to add 1 teaspoon of salt; Judy used seasoned salt per her dad's little crib note on the recipe. I often use more spices to make it taste a little like Kentucky Fried Chicken. This recipe was written up pretty much as I had received it from Judy. Enjoy!