Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cold soup (no stove)
Make and share this Gaspacho à Alentejana (Gazpacho Alentejo's Way) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rock salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- dried oregano leaves
- 200 g stale old country bread (this bread doesn't crumb very easily)
- 1 1⁄2 liters ice water (can substitute for tomato juice)
- In a pestle and mortar smash garlic cloves with salt. Put the resulting paste in a terrine. Add olive oil and vinegar and season with pepper.
- Puree one tomato in the blender. Add to the terrine. Cut in small dices the other tomato, green pepper and cucumber and add to the terrine. Pour 1 1/2 liter of iced water. Season with oreganos and add bread cut up in dices. Wait 15 minutes and eat. Good to acompaign fried fish, presunto or chouriço.
I used lo-fat chicken stock, canned diced tomatoes and red wine vinegar rather than water, fresh tomatoes and plain white vinegar. This soup turned out to be greasy, the vinegar was overpowering and the soup was very thin. If I make this again, I'll leave out half the oil, 3/4 of the vinegar and half the water.