Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
If you love garlic, you will love this recipe! This goes nicely with "arroz con gandules", a side of potato salad, and some crunchy fried "tostones". Enjoy!
- 5 -6 lbs pork butt
- 8 -10 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 -3 limes
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon goya adobo seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sazon goya
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Wash very thoroughly, your pork butt.
- Dry with paper towels. Place the pork in a disposable aluminum tray,(if available- this will keep the cleanup at a minimum*)or a large container big enough for the meat to fit with a little extra space around.
- Place cleaned garlic,cilantro leaves, juice of 2 limes, Adobo, Sazon & pepper in a food processor.
- PULSE this mixture until there are no big chunks left.
- Then with the food processor running, slowly drizzle the oil into the chute, until smooth.(about 35 seconds).
- Right before you season the pork, place 3-4 slices in THE SKIN ONLY. Separate as best you can, the skin from the meat. Then rub the garlic mixture ALL OVER the pork, going under the skin that you separated, as to infuse your meat with the garlic flavor.
- Now, you have to decide if you want to let it marinate, and although it's not necessary, it does take in much more flavor after 4-24 hours,TIGHTLY covered in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 375°F After 15 minutes, place pork in a roasting pan(skin side up), in the oven, uncovered.After an hour, loosely cover the pork, and reduce the oven to 325°F.
- Cook, covered for about 3 1/2 hours, basting with it's juices every 30 minutes or so.
- After that time, raise the oven to 400°F and uncover. Cook for another 35 minutes or so, depending on how crispy you want the skin.
- To serve, remove from the oven, and let it rest for a few minutes (IF YOU CAN!), and the break off pieces with a fork, and serve with rice and a salad (and some lime wedges from the extra lime*).
- The leftovers make really yummy sandwiches for lunch the next day!