Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is another Lebanese secret old favourite. But get the toothpaste ready. Love this on chicken when bbq'd or grilled. Try it you'll love it.
- Slice the garlic.
- Add salt.
- Begin to crush until salt has dissolved.
- Now add 1/2 tps of Virgin Olive Oil and stir in until it disappears.
- Once the garlic has absorbed the oil add another 1/2 tps and repeat.
- If you keep doing this 3 cloves of garlic will then become a whole bowl of garlic paste.
- It is time consuming but the results pay off.
- Its fantastic as it keeps well and you can use it whenever required for cooking.
- It tastes great on bbq or grilled chicken.
I love garlic and this is great. Because I was making a whole head of garlic, I used a garlic press then a mortar and pestal to grind the salt and the first few teaspoons of oil in. It turned into a nice paste and goes great on roasted chicken as well as crusty bread. I probably didn't incorporate enough oil if it was suposed to take 2 hours (or the garlic press with mortar and pestal REALLY made a difference in the time). It turned out great but I would say peeling a whole head of garlic and the actual blending was only 30 minutes. After the first 2 or 3 teaspoons of oil are incorporated, I started adding more than a half teaspoon at a time. I started with approximately 3 tablespoons of crushed garlic and when I was done adding the oil, it filled a 4 ounce jar. (i.e. half a cup) I would take the time to make it again. I think it would make great croutons.
I love this recipe. The restaurant where i work uses this all the time..But instead of mashing it we use a mini chopper and incorporate a little mayo for people who don't like the pure garlic taste. The chopper saves a ton of time and the taste is the same.Oh by the way the restaurant is owned by a Lebanese family that came over 18 years ago..