Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an Indian Lentil soup,and this recipe is from my great grand mother. I love it! And all of my family craves for it almost all the time!! We enjoy it every sunday in our family dinner!
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 cup canned great northern bean
- 1⁄2 cup frozen carrot
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 7 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- red pepper flakes, just a breeze
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional)
- 4 cups water
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Take a deep cooking pan,add the lentil bean and water. Cook for 20 mins until lentils turn soft. Add the carrots and canned Beans too after the red lentils are boiled. You may need little more water if water is evaporated. Allow carrots and Canned beans to cook in along with lentils.
- Now take a another pan, Fry the chopped onions and garlic(just take 6 chopped garlic while frying and keep the 1 extra separately)in olive oil until the flavor comes out. It should take about 2-3 minutes Add the garlic and onions to the boiling beans,carrots and lentils. The flavor of onions and garlic will seep in/.
- Add ground cumin,pepper and Red pepper to the lentils and veggies. The raw garlic that has been set aside should be chopped and added at this stage along with the spices. Also add 1 tsp of Olive oil to the veggies.
- Allow all of the above to blend in for few mins approx 5-6 minutes
- Turn off gas,Add the above in a blender and make a puree. Garnish with Cilantro if you wish to.
- At the end of it all, Right before serving you can add a spoon of Butter to the soup and serve!
Loaded with flavor, this is great comfort food. I used some homemade chicken broth rather than water and chose to blend only half the soup, leaving some of the vegetables whole. We both enjoyed a dollop of yogurt with the soup. I strongly recommend you add the black pepper a teaspoon at a time as a full tablespoon is a lot of black pepper. No wonder your family has this every Sunday, GT #2. It's delicious.