Lemon Garlic Lentil Soup
photo by Chef Doodle
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups pasta shells (dry)
- 1 cup split & skinned Urad Dal (dry)
- 5 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable stock powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 lemons, juice of
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain.
- In a large pot, bring dal, water and broth mix to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Cook until lentils are at desired consistency.
- In skillet, sauté celery, carrots and garlic. for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture and pasta to dal. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Before serving add lemon juice. I also add another clove of crushed garlic, since raw garlic is quite good for you!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I used regular lentils in this, added 1/2 cup onion, and only used 2 lemons. I was all set to make traditional lentil soup when I came across this recipe - I thought it was a good Spring dish, lighter and tangier than regular lentil soup. (of course, spring in Buffalo, NY is a lot like winter!) I love garlic and lemon, and enjoyed this soup. My boyfriend thought it was a little too lemony, however. Served with some crusty bread, it was a healthy, filling meal. Thanks!