Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 3 garlic cloves, threaded on a skewer
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb fusilli
- Toast the nuts in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just golden and fragrant, 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a big pot.
- Lower skewered garlic into the water, boil for 45 seconds, immediately run garlic under cold water; remove from skewer, peel, and mince.
- Place nuts, garlic, oil, and ½ teaspoon salt in a food processor; process until smooth, stopping as necessary to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl; stir in the cheeses, and adjust the salt.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta to the boiling water.
- Cook until al dente; reserve ½ cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and transfer it back to the cooking pot.
- Mix in ¼ cup of the reserved cooking water and the pesto; use the additional ¼ cup cooking water as needed to moisten the sauce.
- Divide among 4 warmed pasta bowls and serve immediately.