Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
from best of fine cooking, this is a simple vegetarian dish which cooks in under 30 minutes.
- 1 lb fusilli
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb fresh Baby Spinach
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- bring a large pot of water to boil.
- add kosher salt and pasta, cook until aldente.
- meanwhile add olive oil to skillet.
- add scallions and spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, until wilted.
- mix ricotta, cream, nutmeg in a small bowl.
- stir into spinach and add butter.
- reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- reserve 1/2 c of pasta cooking water and add to thin sauce, as needed.
- drain pasta, add sauce and toss.
- top with grated parmigiano reggiano, serve.
We all thoroughly enjoyed this dish! I made this with homemade ricotta and didn't use all the salt called for...just to lower the sodium content. I also didn't have light cream...but used 3/4 cup whipping cream and 1/4 cup 2% milk. Just lovely with the nutmeg! Thank you for sharing. I will definately be making this again!
Newest Zaar Tag Jan 2008 This is a great stand alone or side dish. I love cooked spinach as long as it is flavored by anything else and that is what appealed to me in this recipe. It looks great on the plate and tastes wonderful on the palate. Great recipe. The nutmeg shines through without being overwhelming. I used a pinch. The scallions gave great flavors but not oniony if that makes sense. I think this could be a great lasagna filler instead of the meat and cheese filling we so often find or make. Great recipe that will be made again. I also think this is a versatile recipe in that instead of having as a side with a meat, leftover meat can be added in, such as stripped chicken or beef. We had it as a side with oven baked chicken breast and green beans. Delish!