A quick basic cocoa frosting that isn't overly sweet -- I like it with toasted pecans! Make it mocha by adding instant coffee granules -- or leave out the pecans, and add the coffee granules, hazelnut extract and 1/2 cup hazelnut spread to make a hazelnut coffee frosting! (SEE NOTE) This frosting can be used on Super Moist Mocha Cream Cake -- 13 X 9 Pan or Two 9-Inch Layers :) and is a great addition to Mahogany Pound Cake :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (one stick)
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons cocoa (sifted, if lumpy)
- 1 -2 tablespoon instant coffee granules (OPTIONAL ~ if you like mocha!)
- 1 dash salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar (one pound box, sifted if lumpy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or hazelnut extract)
- 1 1⁄4 cups pecans (OPTIONAL, Toasted in a dry hot iron skillet, then chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (OPTIONAL ~ omit pecans)
- In a hot dry iron skillet, TOAST pecans, stirring constantly until very fragrant ~ be careful not to burn! Chop pecans and set aside ~.
- In saucepan, combine butter, milk cocoa, OPTIONAL coffee granules, and dash of salt. Bring just to a boil, and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and quickly add confectioners sugar ~ beating well.
- Add vanilla (or hazelnut extract) and TOASTED pecans, chopped (or hazelnut spread).
- Quickly spread on cake while frosting is still warm, or thin with 1 tablespoon milk if frosting begins to stiffen too quickly, or for spreading on a layer cake!
- NOTE: Make HAZELNUT COFFEE FROSTING by adding 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules to melted butter/cocoa mixture, hazelnut extract, and substituting 1/2 cup hazelnut spread for the chopped pecans. Thin with 1 tablespoon milk, if necessary for easier spreading!