Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
A quick basic cocoa frosting that isn't overly sweet -- I like it with toasted pecans! Make it mocha by adding instant coffee granules -- or leave out the pecans, and add the coffee granules, hazelnut extract and 1/2 cup hazelnut spread to make a hazelnut coffee frosting! (SEE NOTE) This frosting can be used on Super Moist Mocha Cream Cake -- 13 X 9 Pan or Two 9-Inch Layers :) and is a great addition to Mahogany Pound Cake :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (one stick)
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons cocoa (sifted, if lumpy)
- 1 -2 tablespoon instant coffee granules (OPTIONAL ~ if you like mocha!)
- 1 dash salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar (one pound box, sifted if lumpy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or hazelnut extract)
- 1 1⁄4 cups pecans (OPTIONAL, Toasted in a dry hot iron skillet, then chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (OPTIONAL ~ omit pecans)
- In a hot dry iron skillet, TOAST pecans, stirring constantly until very fragrant ~ be careful not to burn! Chop pecans and set aside ~.
- In saucepan, combine butter, milk cocoa, OPTIONAL coffee granules, and dash of salt. Bring just to a boil, and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and quickly add confectioners sugar ~ beating well.
- Add vanilla (or hazelnut extract) and TOASTED pecans, chopped (or hazelnut spread).
- Quickly spread on cake while frosting is still warm, or thin with 1 tablespoon milk if frosting begins to stiffen too quickly, or for spreading on a layer cake!
- NOTE: Make HAZELNUT COFFEE FROSTING by adding 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules to melted butter/cocoa mixture, hazelnut extract, and substituting 1/2 cup hazelnut spread for the chopped pecans. Thin with 1 tablespoon milk, if necessary for easier spreading!
Your private recipe is public! The recipe reads a LOT like my Fudgy Mocha Frosting W/Pecans--Or Hazelnut Coffee Frosting! ~ LOL
I LOOOVE THIS FROSTING. It reminds me so much of the frosting that is on hostess cupcakes but soo much better and not gritty. I only used 3 c confectioners sugar and it turned out perfectly sweet and savory. I made devils food cupcakes and used this fudgy mocha frosting for a church get together and everyone looooved them and they turned out sooo great. This recipe is so easy! Make sure you use it as soon as it is cooled just mins cause it gets stiff really quick.