Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A chocolate lover's dream!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make and share this Fudgy Chocolate Layer Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup minus 1 tbl. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter (or 1 1/2 sticks)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
Frosting and Garnish
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted after measuring
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- chocolate shavings (to garnish)
- Line bottoms of two 9" round cake pans with waxed paper.
- Grease paper and sides of pan.
- Dust with flour, set aside.
- In bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, soda and salt til mixed.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars at medium-speed til light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- On low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk just til blended.
- Divide batter equally into prepared pans.
- Bake in 350 oven for 25-30 minutes, or til a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks.
- Remove waxed paper.
- Turn layers top-side up, and cool completely.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar on medium speed til light and fluffy.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Continue beating til shiny and smooth.
- Place one cake onto serving platter.
- Spread with frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Frost top and sides.
- Let cake stand for 30 minutes before topping with chocolate shavings, and before slicing.
OMG! What an awesome cake! I made this for hubby's birthday, and got rave reviews! I made double frosting, so I could cover the sides, and it was best served from the fridge. A truly awesome recipe, that will be my staple choccie cake recipe from now on!
I'm not a chocolate fan, but this is my favorite chocolate cake recipe. I use 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar to make the icing instead of a cup, but otherwise the recipe is the same. This cake will convert a non-chocolate lover...
A very simple and very easy recipe - living in the UK, buttermilk is difficult to come by so I substituted cream of tarter dissolved in semi-skimmed milk and icing sugar for powder sugar - worked very well!