Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is from "The Book of Chocolates and Petits Fours" by Beverly Sutherland Smith, a cookbook I use often when I want to make something special for a gift basket. Some of the cooking time on this recipe is actually time to allow the fruit to marinate.
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup glace cherries, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon glace ginger, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons glace pineapple, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon glace apricot
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 24 slivered almonds
- Melt 3 oz chocolate in a bowl or top of a double boiler set over pan of simmering water. Drop 24 small chocolate rounds by teaspoon on waxed paper and flatten. Let set.
- In a clean bowl mix the chopped fruit with liqueur. Let stand for 30 minutes. Using about 1/2 tablespoon, form fruit mixture into small balls, and press to same diameter as chocolate rounds. Place flattened fruit on top of each chocolate round.
- To decorate, melt remaining 2oz chocolate in a bowl or top of a double boiler set over a pan of simmering water. Spoon chocolate into a small pastry bag fitted with a small plain writting tip. (or spoon into plastic bag and make very small snip in one corner) Pipe a lattice design on top of each fruity chocolate. Place an almond sliver on top of each candy. Let set.
- Store layered with waxed paper in an airtight container up to 3 weeks.