Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you’re a fan of sweet potatoes, or looking for a different way to prepare them, this dish is a sweet, fruity and nutty combination that’s easy to make and can be enjoyed time and time again.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 44.37 ml butter, cut into chunks (substitute cashew butter for a vegan alternative)
- 59.16 ml orange juice
- 29.58-59.16 ml light brown sugar
- 2.46-4.92 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 59.14 ml almonds, sliced
- 59.14 ml dried cranberries, chopped (into halves or thirds)
- Steam the sweet potato cubes over medium heat about 25 minutes (time is given from the moment the stove is turned on until the sweet potatoes are done).
- Place the sweet potatoes and butter in a medium bowl and mash with an electric mixer on low speed (the heat from the sweet potatoes should melt the butter). Add the rest of the ingredients and combine.
- Notes: The orange juice adds quite a bit of sweetness to this dish. You may wish to add the brown sugar slowly, tasting as you go, to avoid over-sweetening.
Although I did include all the ingredients, I changed the recipe a little in that I didn't peel the potatoes but diced 'em before steaming & mashing 'em! Also was a bit generous with the dried cranberries (which I didn't chop), & that all worked out very nicely! Very, very nice tasting sweet potatoes & well worth making again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]
We thoroughly enjoyed this with our The Healthy Good for You Meatloaf. I boiled my sweet potatoe and mashed with a masher with the butter and I soaked my chopped almonds and craisins in the orange juice and added to the mix and didn't worry about the sugar as I felt it didn't need really need it, thank you A.B. Hall, made for PAC October 2011.