Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
A real standout at the pot-luck dessert table amid the brownies and chocolate chip cookies. Very easy to make, but do it the night before to give them time to cool ALL the way. They're better the next day anyway. If you need to leave out the nuts just up the amount of fruit.
- 1 cup dried fruit, chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups nuts, chopped
- prepare cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan by lining with foil and spraying with cooking spray; they'll never come out of the pan otherwise!
- preheat oven to 400°F.
- steam dried fruit for about 15 minutes (I like to use Sun Maid Fruit Bits to get a variety and avoid the chopping).
- beat eggs.
- heat eggs and sugar in saucepan until sugar is melted.
- remove from heat and add salt and vanilla.
- add flour 1/2 cup at a time and stir until combined.
- stir in nuts (any kind, I like pecans).
- pour into prepared pan, taking care to fill the corners, the mixture is very sticky.
- bake 15-16 minutes.
- let cool completely.
- turn tray upside down onto cutting board, gently peel foil, then cut into bars.