Recipe by mandagirl
These muffins will keep you going all morning! (and the next morning too) :)
Top Review by AuntMare
I made these yesterday and hot of the oven, they were delicious. But this morning they were a little dry. One thing I'm wondering is if the barley is supposed to be cooked. I didn't and it came out hard and very difficult to chew. Overall, they are a tasty, healthy muffin, but when I make them again, I will half the recipe so there won't be any leftovers. Also I will experiment with cooking the barley. Raisins would be good to add too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup golden flax seed meal
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 cup honey or 1⁄2 cup real maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup almond milk
- 1⁄2 cup natural applesauce
- 1 mashed banana
- 1⁄2 cup natural sunflower seeds
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, flaxseed meal, quick barley, sunflower seeds, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and add almond milk, applesauce, honey (or maple syrup) and mashed banana.
- Mix well and stir into dry ingredients.
- Do not over mix.
- Fill paper lined muffin pans a little more than 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.