Recipe by DETOXwithTARA
Frittata del Jardin: Yam, spinach, and carrot frittata, topped with avocado and homemade garlic basil butter, gluten free, (can be made egg free) fried goodness! Eat 20Mins after your Daily Green Smoothie or Lunch...Serve as hashbrowns, even easier! Mix in some scrambled eggs, or serve alongside Raw Banana Pancakes on a weekend for the family, or serve with fresh fruit and Yogurt for lunch. You can even eat cold with Hummus, or in a lettuce wrap on the go! Our favorite is topping it with melted "Daiya" vegan mozzarella cheese (whole foods) :)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend 2 carrots & 1 large or 2 small yams/sweet potatoes (yams are lower in sugar) on low speed or use food processor (vita mix:1-2) until only small shreds. Add in 2 cups spinach at very end just to break into smaller pieces, not mush!
- Scoop out mixture into bowl.
- Blend on low: 1 c almond meal and 2/3c gluten free flour or sift.
- Add in 2 eggs and teaspoon of water until well mixed to mixture, should be a little thicker than batter (gluten free flours vary in ingredients, so I always add water until it all sticks together).Scoop out into bowl with veggies, and mix with your hands to coat well, or use utensil of choice to be less efficient;) (sprinkle in a little water or oil if dry, add in almond meal if too moist).
- EGG-LESS***Variation: omit eggs and add a little water and flour, as long as mixture sticks a little you are good to go.
- Scoop out palm sized amount or smaller and flatten, use the other 1/2 cup of almond meal (flour and almond meal makes it extra crispy) to coat outside of patties. It will fall apart easily-it's ok!
- Pan fry in safflower oil, or grapeseed oil, never in olive oil. The patties should be "lacy" thin for frittatas, remember they will stick together once in the oil-I usually slide a patty off a spatula into the oil, gently press "drifters" back into frittata edges -- Let drain on paper bags/kitchen paper/paper towels, wrap any extra frittatas in wax paper to separate and freeze. Keeps in fridge well 3-5 days.
- Top with a slice of butter and/or avocado slices. Kids liked putting ketchup on top like hash browns -- protein (almond meal), veggies, and good oils-what more could you ask for?! I've made variations of these by using diff combos veges. Works great with leftover vege's!