Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
These are a very crisp and tasty topping or addition to everything from soups and salads to curries and stir-fries. You can find these commercially prepared in Asian markets, but you can't beat the taste of freshly homemade. I love them with seafood (trying serving crab over a bed of garlic flakes!)
- 8 shallots or 8 garlic cloves, peeled and cut cross-wise into slices 1/8-inch thick
- peanut oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a frying pan over medium heat, pour in peanut or vegetable oil to a depth of 1/2 inch.
- When the oil is moderately-hot (about 325 degrees), add the shallot or garlic slices.
- Fry slowly, stirring, just until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the slices to paper towels to drain.
- Let cool, then store the flakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to several weeks.