Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Georgia. Floured and Egg dipped circled Grits fried in bacon fat.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups boiling water
- 1 cup hominy grits
- 1⁄4 cup blanched sliced almonds
- bacon drippings or lard
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- Day before, add two teaspoons of salt to the boiling water and add the grits gradually, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, thirty to forty minutes.
- Stir in the almonds and let mixture cool to warm.
- Pack the warm grits into straight sided iced tea glasses that have been rinsed out with cold water. Chill overnight.
- Next day, loosen around the grits with a knife and allow to unmold. Cut into 1/2 inch thick circles.
- Heat the bacon drippings or lard in a heavy iron skillet.
- Dip the circles in flour and then in the eggs combined with the remaining salt and two tablespoons water.
- Fry the circles in the hot fat until browned on both sides.
- Yield: about twenty circles, 5 servings.
- Heritage cook book.