I guess you would categorize this as the West coast version of fried grits. Take that, Impera_Magna! ;) A recipe from --Tasty's-- Great-grandmother as transcribed by --Tasty's-- grandmother. The fried farina was usually served with bacon and eggs. Nice, huh? Recipe requires 1 day or overnight advance preparation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1*Note: the directions on the back of the Cream of Wheat box indicate you can substitute milk for all (or part of) the water. I've prepared the recipe using water only and with water/milk especially if there is milk on hand that is close to the pull date.
- 2In a pan, bring water (and salt if using) to the boil (or almost to the boil if using milk) and stir in 3/4 cup Cream of Wheat. Stir with fork or wire whisk to break up any lumps.
- 3Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring every minute or so. Note: Cooking time may vary depending on which type of Cream of Wheat is used.
- 4While still hot, pour the cooked cereal into a 9x11-inch buttered casserole dish.
- 5Let cool, cover, then place in refrigerator overnight.
- 6Next day, cut the farina up into 16-20 slices. (Another method is to carefully invert the casserole dish over the skillet. The farina will slip out of the casserole dish easily. This is trickier to do though. I find Option A much easier.).
- 7Place farina meal in a shallow plate or on a piece of wax paper.
- 8Lightly dredge each slice in farina meal.
- 9In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter on medium heat.
- 10Add some of the farina slices to the skillet but do not crowd.
- 11Fry on both sides until golden brown and crispy.
- 12Cook the slices in batches, adding more butter as needed.
- 13Arrange on platter and serve with butter and warm maple syrup.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Cream of Wheat a K a the Farina Project
Serving Size: 1 (1142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 30.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.8 g