Recipe by AniSarit
Catfish is relatively cheap and easy to get, but the taste can bore some people, unless done right. I used to make these many years ago, but haven't since becoming Kosher. Here's my method, hope you like it! Cooking time includes 20min sit time.
Top Review by goldstonrc1
This was a very simple and tasty recipe. My kids ages 11 & 12 were able to help with this recipe. I had no problem getting corn meal to stick, but I waited until my oil was hot enough before I put fish in pan. Will keep this recipe and continue to use it from now on. Thanks!
- 1 lb catfish fillet
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- butter, for frying (or canola oil for the health-conscious)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle fillets with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Beat eggs, and stir in water.
- Spread cornmeal on a piece of wax paper, and roll each fish in the cornmeal.
- Next, dip it in the egg mixture (this is not an error, cornmeal, then egg - trust me).
- Now roll it in the cornmeal again.
- Refrigerate fish for 20minutes.
- Melt butter in a skillet over low heat and fry fish for about 3 minutes on each side, adding more butter if needed (oil can be used instead of butter).
- I love this served with a good tartar sauce and fresh lemon juice squeezed on top. Enjoy!