Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe serves two as a first course or appetizer. I'm saving it to try one day.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup beer, plus
- 1 teaspoon beer
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- oil (for deep frying)
- 12 broccoli florets
- In a small bowl shisk together the flour and the beer and let the batter stand for 30 minutes.
- Mince and garlic finely and on your cutting board mix in the salt. Mash the garlic and salt together with the blade of a knife until it's a paste.
- In a pan melt the butter over moderately low heat and in it cook the curry powder, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in the garli paste, the brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, and the soy sauce and transfer the sauce to a small dish.
- In a deep heavy skillet heat 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk the beer batter, dip the broccoli florets into it, knowing off the excess batter and fry them in the oil for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer broccoli to paper towels to drain and serve them while warm with the curry sauce.