1/2 Photos of Fried Bocconcini With Spicy Tomato Sauce
Chef Kate's Note:
Little nuggets of fresh mozzarella cheese, known as bocconcini, are breaded and deep-fried, then paired with a piquant tomato sauce for dipping. Adapted from chef Nate Apleman of SPQR via Williams Sonoma.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes with juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs mozzarella bocconcini (about 50 pieces)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 1In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic is soft but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices and simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- 2Preheat an oven to 200°F.
- 3Drain the cheese from its liquid. Place the cheese on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and pat dry.
- 4In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Put the egg mixture, flour and bread crumbs in separate wide, shallow bowls.
- 5Roll the cheese in the flour, dip into the egg mixture and coat with the bread crumbs, shaking off the excess after each step. Then bread each piece of cheese again.
- 6In a large, deep sauté pan over medium-high heat, pour in olive oil to a depth of 3 inches and heat to 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Working in batches, fry the cheese until golden, about 2 minutes. (Or follow the directions of your deep fryer.) Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season the fried cheese with salt and black pepper. Place the cheese on a wire rack set over a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while frying the remaining cheese.
- 7Let the fried cheese cool for at least 7 minutes before serving. Serve with the warm tomato sauce for dipping.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Bocconcini With Spicy Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (2742 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 31.6 mg
- Sodium 218.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 6.4 g