Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Still trying to find a way to get my husband to eat asparagus. He loves fried foods, so maybe this will work! Recipe from Paula Deen. Serve with Creole Mustard Sauce. Says it makes 12-15 servings, but that seems a little high to me. If you try this, please approximate how many servings you got out of it.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- peanut oil (for frying)
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Rinse asparagus with water, and leave damp.
- Place flour in a resealable plastic bag; add asparagus, seal and shake to coat.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce.
- In another shallow dish, combine cornmeal mix and Cajun seasoning.
- Dip asparagus in buttermilk mixture; dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil over medium heat to 365 degrees. Fry asparagus, in batches, 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with Creole Mustard Sauce.