Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The Swiss are famous for their breakfasts and often eat two breakfasts. This dish is popular at the first breakfast of the day.
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 slices white bread, toasted and cut into 3/4 inch squares
- Heat 2 tablespoons margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add apple slices and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Cook the apples for 5 minutes, turning frequently with a spatula.
- Add bread squares and turn heat to medium low. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place apple and bread slices on serving platter and top with remaining margarine.
This was good. I used honey and brown sugar, with a scant touch of cinnamon.
This was surprisingly good. I didn't think I would like the addition of the bread, but actually I really enjoyed it. It was a nice balance to the sweetness of the apple. I'm not sure that it'll be a staple in our house, as no one else likes cooked apples, but it'll definitely be a once in a while treat. Thanks! Made for ZWT7.