Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This dressing is delicious with any green salad and will make your salad course a real event. Roasting the garlic gives it a wonderfully mellow and sweet mild flavor.
- 6 -8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 chopped scallions, use white part only
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite herb vinegar or 3 tablespoons use wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup fresh garden basil, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush the garlic cloves with 1 teaspoon of the oil, reserving the remaining oil.
- Roast the oiled garlic cloves in a pan until golden and soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Watch carefully so garlic does not get over-brown or burn.
- Carefully remove pan from oven and cool.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze out the garlic pulp.
- Combine the pulp with the reserved olive oil and rest of the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and use the dressing on any mixed garden salad.
- Refrigerate leftover.
this was absolutely delicious. so simple to make and the taste is better than any bottled dressing and just as good if not better than any dressing ive had in very good restaurants. i was able to use it on spinach salad even though it was not a water dressing because it was such a great texture! i followed the recipe exactly except the vinegar. i had to use what i had on hand; so i used balsamic mixed with white vinegar... i also think this would be even better with summer tomatoes as tomatoes around here right now are pathetic. but it was still great evenso. will make this each week now. thanks!
This turned in to a delicious dressing Dancer! I did as suggested and roasted the garlic before using. For the required vinegar, I used my own Herbal Vinegar with Basil Herbal Vinegar with Basil and added a pinch of brown sugar to the final dressing just to give it the slightest sweet flavor. It was so good! This recipe is a keeper!
I used your basic white wine vinegar and it was delicious! We added a little more garlic just because weâ€™re garlic fans. It has a nice cream texture and a really good bite. We found that a little goes a long way and itâ€™s a big hit in out family.