Recipe by Manami
A fantastic recipe for kids and adults alike! Vary the fruits to whatever the child likes. I found this on the Martha Stewart web site while I was trolling for a recipe for something else. What an exciting idea!
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb unsliced dense white bread (like pullman) or 1 lb egg bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes (challah)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 pint fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 pint fresh raspberry
- 2 bananas, sliced
- warmed maple syrup (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven to warm.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, salt, and vanilla.
- Stir in bread.
- In a large saute pan set over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Place half of the bread mixture in pan; cook, turning occasionally with a spatula, until browned on all sides.
- To keep warm, transfer to the oven.
- Cook remaining bread in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter as before.
- Thread bread cubes onto skewers alternating with blueberries, raspberries, and banana slices.
- Serve immediately with warmed maple syrup, if desired.