1/2 Photos of French Countryside Bread (Bread Machine - Abm)
3 hrs 10 mins
Our family LOVES French bread. If we have any leftovers, I make croûtons out of it or use it with French onion soup. This recipe came from my Oster bread machine cookbook. You can also use only the "dough" option on your bread machine and bake baguettes in the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add all ingredients to your bread machine as your directions instruct.
- 2Mine go like this:.
- 3Add liquid ingredients to bread pan.
- 4Add all dry ingredients, except yeast, to bread pan.
- 5Make a well in the dry ingredients and carefully add the yeast into the well.
- 6Select the "French" setting on your machine.
- 7Select crust color, if applicable.
- 8Press start!
- 9OVEN METHOD:.
- 10To make loaves in the oven, use the "Dough" cycle on your machine.
- 11When cycle is complete, punch dough down and divide into 2 equal parts.
- 12On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a rectangle, about 10 x 15.
- 13Starting at the long side, roll each rectangle, jelly roll style, into a tight, long loaf. Seal seams and ends by pinching dough together.
- 14Place loaves seam sides down on a large, ungreased baking sheet. You may sprinkle some cornmeal or flour on the pan under where you'll be placing the loaves.
- 15Cover loaves with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, until almost double in size.
- 16Preheat oven to 375*. Place a pan of hot water on the bottom rack of your oven. This will create steam inside the oven while the bread is baking to give you an authentic crust.
- 17Using a very sharp knife, carefully make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes in each loaf, cutting about 1/2 inch down into dough.
- 18If you choose, at this time you can carefully brush on an egg white glaze (one egg white beaten with 1 tbl. of water) and sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion or garlic, etc., if desired.
- 19Bake for 25-30 minutes (or until loaves sound hollow when tapped) on middle oven rack.
- 20Cool on wire racks and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Countryside Bread (Bread Machine - Abm)
Serving Size: 1 (876 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2073.7
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3512.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 397.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 54.8 g