Recipe by Renate
Hello Kiddo, this one is just for you. Now that you have your own kitchen you might want to try and make one of your faves on your own. Love mom
- 1⁄2 cup butter, less 1/2 tsp
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 drops lemon extract (I prefer Lemon) or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (I prefer Lemon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup potato starch (cornstarch will do in a pinch)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
BUTTER CREAM FROSTING
- 3 ounces vanilla pudding (the kind you have to cook on the stove top)
- 1 1⁄2 milk
- 1 cup butter
KROKANT or BRITTLE
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup blanched almonds or 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped into tiny pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. DOUGH:.
- 2. Preheat oven to 360ºF.
- 3. Cream the butter til fluffy.
- 4. Add sugar 1 tbsp at the time, mix until creamy.
- 5. Add eggs 1 at a time, mix until smooth.
- 6. Mix flour, starch, baking powder and salt.
- 7. Add flour mixture 1 tbsp at a time until fully absorbed.
- 8. Pour into a greased & floured bundt pan.
- 9. Bake for 35 to 45 minute toothpick should come out clean.
- 10. BUTTER CREAM FROSTING:.
- 11. Prepare pudding per package directions using only 1 1/2 cup milk.
- 12. Cool pudding, cover with plastic wrap to prevent skin while cooling.
- 13. Bring butter to almost room temperature.
- 14. Cream butter.
- 15. Stir 1 cup pudding into creamed butter 1 tbsp at a time (be sure temperatures are pretty even and not to cold, otherwise the mix will separate).
- 16. KROKANT or BRITTLE:.
- 17. In a nonstick pan over medium heat stir butter and sugar until sugar is slightly brown.
- 18. Stir in nuts and cook on low heat until it all has a nice cognac color (220ºF brittle stage on candy thermometer).
- 19. Transfer to a greased cookie sheet and let cool completely.
- 20. Break into real small pieces (English toffee bits could be substituted).
- 21. ASSEMBLY.
- 22. Cut cooled cake in three layers.
- 23. Spread 1/2 cup butter cream frosting on each cut layer and reassemble cake.
- 24. Frost cake outside with remaining butter cream frosting, reserving about 1/3 cup.
- 25. Sprinkle krokant or brittle over entire cake.
- 26. Decorate with reserved butter cream frosting.
- 27. It's best if it has a day to sit in the refrigerator.