Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is from the book Delicious diabetic low cal recipes by Tarla Dalal. Cream cheese is something we've all relished at some point of time in our life. Since it isn't very easily available in India, now you can make it at home using fresh low fat milk. This cream cheese is absolutely fat free and can be had by diabetics too. You can use this to make cakes and other desserts that call for cream cheese. I will post a Lemon Cheese cake recipe for diabetics separately which calls for cream cheese. You can also use this cream cheese to make dips to serve at parties with vegetable crudites or chips. Use the low fat milk for diabetics recipe posted separately for preparing this cream cheese. Enjoy!
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the milk in a thick bottomed pan.
- As it starts to come to a boil, remove it from heat and keep aside for a few minutes.
- In another bowl, mix the citric acid crystals with warm water.
- Add this to the hot milk and let it stand for 5 minutes till the milk curdles.
- If it doesn't on its own, stir gently.
- Strain this mixture using a muslin cloth.
- Leave some of the whey in the curdled mixture.
- Blend the drained milk solids in a food processor till it is thick and creamy.
- It is not ready to use.
- Note: If the drained whey is milky, boil it once again and strain the separated milk solids.
- If you do not get citric acid, use 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice instead.