Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Great dessert cake made with Cointreau. Serve with fruit and cream, if desired.
- 2 oranges, washed well to remove any sprays and waxes
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup superfine sugar or 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Cointreau liqueur
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- confectioners' sugar, to dust (gluten-free if needed)
- Place the whole oranges in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover them and place a small plate on top of the oranges to keep them submerged in the water.
- Gradually bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat and allow them to simmer for 40 minutes, or until the oranges are very soft.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cut a piece piece of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of an 8 inch round cake pan. Lightly grease the cake pan and then place the parchment paper circle in the base.
- Cut each of the oranges into quarters. Set aside to cool.
- Remove any pips, and then place the oranges in the bowl of a food processor and blend until they form a very smooth pulp.
- Add the ground almonds, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, and Cointreau. Process (pulse) until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Add the egg and process again until just combined. Be careful not to overprocess.
- Pour the orange mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until the cake is firm and leaves the side of the pan.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar to serve.
Great easy recipe to follow however less eggs required. My cake was more like a pudding...BUT TASTED GREAT
I made this recipe exactly as written and quite frankly this cake did not do anything for me - I thought it was a little bland and I did not like the texture at all. That said - I am giving it four stars because I took it to work to get rid of it and everyone at work really liked it.
Beautiful cake that was easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly. Wonderful orange flavour in a gluten free cake. Everyone at work loved their morning tea. Will definitely make this one again. Thanks for sharing this winner.