Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this in Food & Wine Magazine.
Make and share this Flourless Chocolate-Almond Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly butter eight 3-inch wide, 2-inch deep metal rings or 6-ounce tuna cans, bottoms removed; coated with flour (gluten-free flour if necessary).
- Butter a large rimmed baking sheet and arrange the molds on the sheet.
- Spread the sliced almonds on another rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 6 minutes, stirring a few times, until golden brown.
- Transfer the almonds to a plate and let cool completely.
- Set aside 1/2 cup for garnish; pulse the remaining almonds in a food processor until finely ground.
- Leave the oven on.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with 2/3 cup of the sugar on moderately high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the egg yolks, 1 at a time, until thoroughly incorporated.
- Fold in the ground almonds and the chocolate.
- In a large bowl, beat all six egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the remaining 2 T of sugar and beat until firm, glossy peaks form.
- Fold one-third of the beaten whites into the chocolate mixture to loosen it, then fold in the remaining whites just until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared molds, filling them three-quarters full.
- Bake the chocolate-almond cakes for about 25 minutes, or until risen and just set in the center.
- Let the cakes cool slightly in the molds.
- Run a thin knife around the sides of the molds, then lift them off the cakes.
- Transfer the cakes to individual plates.
- Garnish the tops of the cakes with the reserved toasted almonds and dust them with confectioners' sugar.
- Spoon a dollop of whipped cream alongside and serve.