Found this in Food & Wine Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Lightly butter eight 3-inch wide, 2-inch deep metal rings or 6-ounce tuna cans, bottoms removed; coated with flour (gluten-free flour if necessary).
- 3Butter a large rimmed baking sheet and arrange the molds on the sheet.
- 4Spread the sliced almonds on another rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 6 minutes, stirring a few times, until golden brown.
- 5Transfer the almonds to a plate and let cool completely.
- 6Set aside 1/2 cup for garnish; pulse the remaining almonds in a food processor until finely ground.
- 7Leave the oven on.
- 8In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with 2/3 cup of the sugar on moderately high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 9Beat in the egg yolks, 1 at a time, until thoroughly incorporated.
- 10Fold in the ground almonds and the chocolate.
- 11In a large bowl, beat all six egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 12Add the remaining 2 T of sugar and beat until firm, glossy peaks form.
- 13Fold one-third of the beaten whites into the chocolate mixture to loosen it, then fold in the remaining whites just until blended.
- 14Spoon the batter into the prepared molds, filling them three-quarters full.
- 15Bake the chocolate-almond cakes for about 25 minutes, or until risen and just set in the center.
- 16Let the cakes cool slightly in the molds.
- 17Run a thin knife around the sides of the molds, then lift them off the cakes.
- 18Transfer the cakes to individual plates.
- 19Garnish the tops of the cakes with the reserved toasted almonds and dust them with confectioners' sugar.
- 20Spoon a dollop of whipped cream alongside and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flourless Chocolate-Almond Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.6
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 151.4 mg
- Sodium 51.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 11.5 g