1/1 Photo of Flour Tortillas
Kim D.'s Note:
I found this recipe on the Texas Highways Magazine website. Homemade tortillas are so much better than store-bought!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- 2Heat lard (or shortening) and water in a small saucepan over low heat until lard has just melted.
- 3Allow mixture to cool for a few minutes, then gradually stir it into the flour mixture.
- 4Form into a dough by hand (or if you have a stand mixer, turn on low speed until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl).
- 5The result should be a dough that is neither wet nor dry and crumbly. ~NOTE~ If too wet, add a little more flour; if too dry, add a little more water. I normally don't have to add anything at this point.
- 6Knead dough briefly by hand or mix with stand mixer until dough starts to wrap up the bread hook.
- 7Place dough on a lightly floured surface and divide dough into 12 pieces.
- 8Roll the pieces of dough into little balls between the palms of your hands and place on a flat surface such as a baking sheet.
- 9Cover with a slightly damp towel, and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes (or up to 1 1/2 hours).
- 10Using a rolling pin, roll dough into thin rounds about 6-7 inches in diameter.
- 11Preheat a large, heavy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- 12Place a dough round on the cooking surface; within about 30 seconds the dough should start to bubble, and some little brown spots should begin to form on the bottom.
- 13Flip tortilla, and cook another 30 seconds on the other side.
- 14The tortilla will puff up, at this point, I usually mash them down with a spatula, but it itsn't necessary.
- 15Once the tortilla has turned white with little brown spots on it, it is done.
- 16Remove from heat and place on a dinner plate. Use another dinner plate inverted to act as a lid to keep tortillas warm.
- 17You might need to adjust heat, as necessary, as you cook remaining tortillas.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flour Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 104.7
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 194.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.1 g