Recipe by PaulaG
My DD and SIL had their honeymoon in Italy in December. For a gift to her father, she sent 2 wonderful porterhouse steaks and a fabulous menu complete with recipes so that we could share Italy with them.
Top Review by threeovens
I made this with a NY strip steak (thin sliced). I just had to adjust the cooking time. The flavors complement the steak perfectly. Goes with everything. Made for ZWT 7 Italy.
- 340.19 g pork fatback, cubed
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 9.85 ml dried rosemary
- 2 (1360.77-1587.57 g) porterhouse steaks
- coarse salt, to taste
- pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator, rinse under water, pat dry with paper towels and allow to sit at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking.
- Put the fatback, garlic and rosemary into a food processor and blend until it is the consistency of toothpaste.
- Rub the fat mixture evenly over the meat and season with coarse salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Use a hot, clean, oiled grill and grill the steaks for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium rare.
- The fillet will cook a little faster than the strip loin. Move the steaks frequently, approximately every 2 minutes or so, for even cooking and a crispy exterior.
- When the steaks are cooked, take them off the grill and allow to rest for 5 to 7 minutes. The resting allows the blood to circulate and distributes the juices evenly.
- Serve and enjoy!