Recipe by Sharon123
A light and lovely seasoned oil that works great in Asian dishes. Adapted from the China Moon Cookbook by Barbara Tropp. Wonderful for pouring over noodles and salads! It will also make a great match for fish! The oil may cloud but will not be impaired.
- 1 1⁄3 cups light olive oil (or corn oil)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sesame oil
- 4 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 10 slices fresh ginger, smashed (1/4-inch)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons szechwan pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all of the ingredients in a heavy 1 quart saucepan(NOT aluminum!). Rest a deep-fry thermometer on the rim of the pot. Over medium low heat, bring mixture to a bubbly 225*F, stirring occasionally. Set simmer for 15 minute, checking to make sure the temperature does not rise. Remove from heat and let stand until cool or overnight.
- Strain the oil without pressing the solieds; discard solids.
- Store oil in a clean glass jar at cool room temperature.