- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped (include the leaves!)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups fish stock (or vegetable stock)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2 lbs cod fish fillets, cut into bite-size pieces (or use tilapia or any other mild white fish)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon (use twice as much fresh)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, if needed, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half or 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, red peppers, and celery; sautee for about 5-7 minutes or until soft (NOT browning).
- Add flour to pot; stirring constantly until blended.
- Add wine, mushrooms, and garlic; cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until mushrooms softening.
- Add stock, potatoes, fish pieces, bay leaf, tarragon, paprika, pepper, and, if needed, salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and fish is opaque.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add half and half. Stir, heat through and serve.