Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is a delicious lunch or dinner w/ salad and rolls.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped (include the leaves!)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups fish stock (or vegetable stock)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2 lbs cod fish fillets, cut into bite-size pieces (or use tilapia or any other mild white fish)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon (use twice as much fresh)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, if needed, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half or 3⁄4 cup milk
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, red peppers, and celery; sautee for about 5-7 minutes or until soft (NOT browning).
- Add flour to pot; stirring constantly until blended.
- Add wine, mushrooms, and garlic; cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until mushrooms softening.
- Add stock, potatoes, fish pieces, bay leaf, tarragon, paprika, pepper, and, if needed, salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and fish is opaque.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add half and half. Stir, heat through and serve.
This is the best soup I have ever made! I used homemade fish stock from a whole tuna fish that I bought at the local fish market the other day, and frozen swai fillets. So rich and flavorful!
Just made it for dinner and I absolutly loved it. I had left over cod that I had baked for dinner last night that I had used Panko bread crumbs and seasonings on. Needed a lot of salt that I didn't add but DH did for I am on Herbal Magic so used a lot of the Flavomagic to substitute which was fine with me. Used Olive oil instead of butter as well. Will be making this again when we have leftover cod or any other white fish!
Lovely, rich tasting soup. This is very quick to make and would be ideal for a weeknight when you have come home late. I used the veggie stock and the cod was mild and tasty. This recipe did very well in cutting to a single serving and that gave me enough for two meals so the servings are quite generous. The seasonings are terrific and well balanced. If you enjoy fish soups you should give this a try.