This is a typical Keralite method of preparing moist fish in a lot of gravy. Adapted from: indiaheritage.org/cuisine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg butterfish (or Pomfret or your choice of skinless white fish)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (optional)
- 2 cardamom pods (optional)
- 10 whole red chilies
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 5 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 inch piece ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1Julienne the onion. Keep aside.
- 2Clean the fish, remove the skin, and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 3Pour the oil into the pan. Heat on medium.
- 4Saute the onion and green chilies for five minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, crush the red chili with garlic with a mortar and pestle.
- 6Add the crushed chili, garlic, and ginger.
- 7Fry for ~3 minutes. Meanwhile, add turmeric, cardamom, and cinnamon stick (if desired).
- 8Once the smell of chili emanates, add the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer.
- 9Meanwhile, remove the curry leaves from stems, and add both.
- 10Dice the tomatoes, reserving 3 slices for garnish. Keep aside.
- 11Upon reaching a full simmer, add the fish and salt.
- 12When the fish is nearly well cooked, add the diced tomato. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- 13Add the lemon juice. Remove the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, and curry leaf stems.
- 14Transfer to serving dish. Cover.
- 15Briefly pan fry 3 tomato slices for garnish.
- 16Garnish with tomato slices.
- 17Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish in Coconut Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.1
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1800.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: