Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is so nice and creamy. It came from a Bisquick cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 (10 ounce) packagecut frozen asparagus
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup American cheese (4 ozs.)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked smoked ham
- For Puffs:.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat water and margarine to boiling in 1 1/2 quart saucepan.
- Add baking mix, all at once.
- Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Continue beating until smooth.
- Drop 6 mounds of dough at least 3 inches apart onto aluminum foil-covered cookie sheet.
- Bake until puffed and dark golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
- Carefully remove from cookie sheet; cool completely.
- Cut off tops of popovers with serrated knife.
- For Filling:.
- Cook asparagus as directed on package; drain and reserve.
- Heat margarine in 2 quart saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Stir in baking mix, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Add mushrooms; cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus and ham; heat through.