Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish was originally designed to cool down very hot curries, but then adventurous cooks had the idea to spice it up! Go figure. Serve this as a condiment. Found online and posted for ZWT7
- 2 cups light sour cream or 2 cups yogurt
- 1 cucumber, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, small (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green chile such as serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno, seeds and stem removed, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Allow to sit for an hour to blend the flavors.
This is a nice change of raita from the usual of just cucumber and it is pretty! I did tone down the heat for us which worked well using some cayenne pepper powder to taste instead of the fresh pepper. I used Balkan (thick) yogurt, English cucumber with the peel for colour serving it like awalde's photo, no optional red bell pepper, a small garlic clove, sea salt and the cumin powder. Had with an Indian meal. I may make this again. Made for *** RAMADAN RECIPE TAG - 2011 ***
I made a third of this for the two of us-it was delicious. I would normally make a cucumber or cucumber and tomato raita, so this was a great change of taste and texture. It had just the right amount of heat for us.