Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 mins
I made this for Christmas day lunch, experimenting with microwave recipes found in "Christmas Microwave Know-How". The recipes are designed for a 650/700 watt microwave, and mine is a little larger, so I adjusted cooking times accordingly, cooking for slightly shorter times than suggested. I was very pleased with how simple it was to turn out an attractive and delicious pudding! The original recipe called for 2 tsp of instant coffee powder, but my children don't care for coffee, so I subbed 2 tsp of cocoa powder instead, for a chocolate pudding. Next time, I will fold in some chopped chocolate, or chocolate chips, for a richer pudding. I might also substitute some of the milk for cream, maybe about 150 ml. A tblsp of rum might be nice too!
- 50 g soft brown sugar
- 6 teaspoons cornflour
- 3 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 500 ml milk
- 1 egg white
- 3 egg yolks
- 25 g butter (melted)
- Sift together the brown sugar, cornflour, plain flour and cocoa powder, and then whisk together with the milk in a large bowl.
- Microwave at 100% (High) for 7 - 71/2 minutes, until thick, whisking every 2 minutes.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks, and mix in 6 tbls of the hot custard. Blend thoroughly, then stir the yolk mixture into the remaining custard.
- Microwave on High for another 1 - 2 minutes, or until thick. Beat in the butter, then cover with cling film and cool.
- Whisk the egg white until stiff, and fold into the custard. Pour into individual glasses. You might like to top it with a swirl of whipped cream!
Loved how this wasn't overly sweet! It was nice and creamy and ooooh so good! Can't wait to try it next time with coffee instead!
Great simple and easy recipe. Not too sweet and so creamy. Served with a dollop of cream this is a lovely pudding for hot days. Thanks Karen.
Wow!! What a terrific dessert, and the best part is it looks like a lot of work but is really so simple :) We all loved this, tasted quite smooth and decadent. I'll be making these again, thanks for posting! Made for Aussie Swap :)