Recipe by spatchcock
Top Review by rosslare
Amazing and elegant recipe for fresh tuna steaks! The fennel seed rub is superb on tuna and the vinaigrette really complements the fish. There are a lot of steps, but it really is easy and done in no time at all. So worth the effort! I added some orange zest to the vinaigrette, too. And used somewhat less olive oil.
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 2 ounces ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 3 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons white peppercorns
- 4 egg whites
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 8 tuna steaks
Directions See How It's Made
- In a non corrosive pan saute ginger in 1 tbl olive oil for 1 minute.
- Add shallots and garlic, continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Deglaze with sherry and vinegar.
- Add orange juice, soy and rosemary.
- Reduce by 3/4.
- Add chicken stock and cook 3 minutes.
- Strain and place in blender.
- Blend on low adding olive oil until all incorporated.
- Keep warm.
- Grind fennel, coriander and peppercorns.
- Spread on plate.
- Whip egg whites to break up in a container large enough to hold tuna.
- Season tuna with salt, dip in egg and coat with spice mix.
- Saute in hot pan with olive oil until rare- med rare.
- Coat warm plate with vinaigrette, slice tuna and arrange on plate.
- Serve with greens as a salad.